Follow Us on Facebook!
INTRODUCING THE 2022 - 2023 MBGS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
President – Jennifer Trout, Western Michigan University
Vice President – Andrea Munoz-Hernandez, Ph.D., GISP. Mich. Dept. of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy
Secretary – John Yellich, Michigan Geological Survey
Treasurer – Peter Rose Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Business Manager – Peter Rose, Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Past President – Chris Christensen, Michigan Dept. of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy
MBGS has monthly meetings typically on the 2nd Wednesday
of each month from September - May
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2022 MBGS E.Z. MANOS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Michigan Basin Geological Society will award two scholarships up to $500 each to students conducting graduate or undergraduate research in geology related to Michigan. The scholarships will be awarded at an upcoming MBGS meeting and the winner(s) will be notified In December. We hope recipients can attend a spring MBGS meeting to present their research topic. Candidates should complete and submit the MBGS scholarship application form by December 20, 2022 to John A. Yellich, MBGS Secretary, at email@example.com with subject Line: MBGS Scholarship 2022.
Applications and more information can be found on MBGS’s Scholarship Page
MBGS MEMBERSHIP DUES
MBGS continues to strive to provide a platform for geologist and environmental professionals to connect and offer learning and field trip opportunities. For 2021-2022, our annual dues are $35. Student Membership is free. Email any one of our officers if you are a student and would like to be a member. We now offer the option to renew your professional membership via PayPal. Please refer to the renewal notices that are included in the newsletter. Student Membership is free.
In an effort to better fulfill our mission of providing a forum for the discussion and study of the geology of Michigan and the Great Lakes area through meetings and field trips, we are asking for your input. Please fill out a questionaire at Survey Monkey https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JY9V385. There is a copy of the survey included in the newsletter.
Professional Membership Dues
MBGS continues to strive to provide a platform for geologist and environmental professionals to connect and offer learning and field trip opportunities. For 2022-2023, our annual dues will increase to $35 for members. Student memberships are free, but they
need to fill out the Student Membership Registration Form (above). Renewal notices are included in the newsletter.
OTHER NEWS: MBGS HISTORICAL PUBLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE ON USB FLASH DRIVES (8GB).
MBGS Publications ‐ There are two (2) new publications available! See details on the Publications page
MBGS On-line Store - Shop for shirts, hats, bags and other items. Check it out at: http://www.cafepress.com/mbgs
Michigan Basin Geological Society Historical Publications Disk 4
Reissue on CD-ROM of six out-of-print Field Guidebooks, $15
Note: This CD is for sale. If you are interested in one of them please contact Publication Sales.
Prices include postage, handling and any applicable sales tax.
Orders for publications should be prepaid in U.S. Funds and addressed to:
MBGS — Publications
P.O. Box 14044
Lansing, MI 48901
Silurian Rocks of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan 1957
• Introduction, Geologic Structure and Stratigraphy by G. M. Ehlers and R. V. Kesling
Cambrian Geology of Parts of Dickinson and Iron Counties, Michigan June 1958
• Compiled by Carl E. Dutton
Geologic Features of Parts of Houghton, Keweenaw, Baraga and Ontonagon Counties, Michigan May 19-21, 1961
• Road Log
• The White Pine Copper Deposit, Ontonagon County, Michigan by Walter S. White and
• James C. Wright
• Regional Structural Setting of the Michigan Native Copper District by Walter S. White
Correlation Problems of the Cambrian and Ordovician Outcrops Areas, Northern Peninsula of Michigan 1967
• Correlation Problems of the Cambrian and Ordovician Outcrops Areas, Northern Peninsula of
• Michigan by Meredith E. Ostrom and Arthur E. Slaughter
• Geologic Cross Section, Alger County, Michigan – Walworth County, Wisconsin by Meredith E. Ostrom
• Correlation of Cambro-Ordivican Rocks in Michigan by Garland D. Ells
• Conodonts from the Prairie du Chien of Northern Michigan – Preliminary Report by E. Charles
• Pleistocene Geology of the Munising Area by F. Wells Terwilliger
• Cambro-Ordivician Exposures in the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan by John J. Kowalski
• Re-examination of the Jacobsville by David M. Hite
The Geology of Manitoulin Island June 1968
• Itinerary by Samuel L. Alguire
• Precambrian Geology of the Region North of Manitoulin Island, Ontario by Grant M. Young
• Ordovician and Silurian Stratigraphy of Manitoulin, Ontario by Bruce A. Liberty
• Silurian Faunal Assembleges, Manitoulin Island, Ontario by Thomas E. Bolton
• Transgressive Facies Interpretation of the Niagaran by Frank D. Sheldon
• Late Quaternary Events on Manitoulin Island by C. F. M. Lewis
• The Ancestral Lake Nipissing Strandline on Manitoulin Island by J. Edward Smith
• The Entrance to Georgian Bay by Walter M. Towell
• Aeromagnetic Map – Manitoulin Island by A. S. MacLaren and B. W. Charbonneau
• Soil Development and Land Use on Manitoulin Island by Douglas W. Hoffman
• Existent and Potential Agriculture on Manitoulin Island by E. M. Watkin and J. E. Winch
• Sheguiandah in Retrospect by Thomas E. Lee
Devonian Strata of Alpena and Presque Isle Counties, Michigan 1970
• Devonian Strata of Alpena and Presque Isle Counties, Michigan by G. M. Ehlers and R. V. Kesling
• Glacial History of the Glacial Grand Valley by D. F. Eschman and W. N. Farrand
• Precambrian of the Marquette Area, Michigan by H. B. Stonehouse