Follow Us on Facebook!
INTRODUCING THE 2022 - 2023 MBGS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
President – Jennifer Trout, Western Michigan University
Vice President – Andrea Munoz-Hernandez, Ph.D., GISP. Mich. Dept. of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy
Secretary – John Yellich, Michigan Geological Survey
Treasurer – Peter Rose Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Business Manager – Peter Rose, Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Past President – Chris Christensen, Michigan Dept. of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy
MBGS has monthly meetings typically on the 2nd Wednesday
of each month from September - May
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2022 MBGS E.Z. MANOS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Michigan Basin Geological Society will award two scholarships up to $500 each to students conducting graduate or undergraduate research in geology related to Michigan. The scholarships will be awarded at an upcoming MBGS meeting and the winner(s) will be notified In December. We hope recipients can attend a spring MBGS meeting to present their research topic. Candidates should complete and submit the MBGS scholarship application form by December 20, 2022 to John A. Yellich, MBGS Secretary, at email@example.com with subject Line: MBGS Scholarship 2022.
Applications and more information can be found on MBGS’s Scholarship Page
MBGS MEMBERSHIP DUES
MBGS continues to strive to provide a platform for geologist and environmental professionals to connect and offer learning and field trip opportunities. For 2021-2022, our annual dues are $35. Student Membership is free. Email any one of our officers if you are a student and would like to be a member. We now offer the option to renew your professional membership via PayPal. Please refer to the renewal notices that are included in the newsletter. Student Membership is free.
In an effort to better fulfill our mission of providing a forum for the discussion and study of the geology of Michigan and the Great Lakes area through meetings and field trips, we are asking for your input. Please fill out a questionaire at Survey Monkey https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JY9V385. There is a copy of the survey included in the newsletter.
Professional Membership Dues
MBGS continues to strive to provide a platform for geologist and environmental professionals to connect and offer learning and field trip opportunities. For 2022-2023, our annual dues will increase to $35 for members. Student memberships are free, but they
need to fill out the Student Membership Registration Form (above). Renewal notices are included in the newsletter.
OTHER NEWS: MBGS HISTORICAL PUBLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE ON USB FLASH DRIVES (8GB).
MBGS Publications ‐ There are two (2) new publications available! See details on the Publications page
MBGS On-line Store - Shop for shirts, hats, bags and other items. Check it out at: http://www.cafepress.com/mbgs
Michigan Basin Geological Society Historical Publications Disk 2
Reissue on CD-ROM of four out-of-print Field Guidebooks, $15
Note: This CD is for sale. If you are interested in one of them please contact Publication Sales.
Prices include postage, handling and any applicable sales tax.
Orders for publications should be prepaid in U.S. Funds and addressed to:
MBGS — Publications
P.O. Box 14044
Lansing, MI 48901
Copper Country Field Trip, Michigan June 20-22, 1947
• Copper Country Itinerary
• General Geology of Copper Country
• Suggested Points of Geologic Interest to and from the Copper Country
Geology of Mackinac Island and Lower and Middle Devonian, South of the Straits of Mackinac June 12-14, 1959
• Description of Stops by F. D. Shelden
• Surface Stratigraphy of the Mackinac Straits Region by G. M. Elhers, J. E. Smith and F. D. Shelden
• The Mackinac Breccia by K. K. Landes
• Core Drilling at the Mackinac Bridge Site, Michigan by J. C. Rosenau
• Physical Stratigraphy of Lower Middle Devonian Rocks in the Michigan Basin by L. I. Briggs
• Glacial and Post Glacial Geology of the Mackinac Straits Region by F. D. Shelden
Tectonics, Structure and Karst in Northern Lower Michigan August 1983
• Road Log by T. J. Black and M. H. Frisch
• Selected Views of the Tectonics, Structure, and Karst of Northern Lower Michigan by T. J. Black
• The Tectonic Development of the Michigan Basin Intrastructures by C. E. Prouty
• Karst Lakes of Northeastern Lower Michigan R. E. Kimmel
• A Review of the Limnological Characteristics of Alpena Michigan Area Flowing Wells and Sinkholes by R. B. Moreau
• Compensating for Adverse Operating Conditions in a Karstic Limestone Deposit by R. S. Cathcart
• Seismic Phenomena in Presque Isle County by S. P. Coperude
• Field Stratigraphic Section of the Alpena-Rogers City Area, Michigan
Geology of the Pictured Rocks, Upper Peninsula, Michigan July 11-13, 1991
• Field Trip Guide for Lower Strata of the Munising Area in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan by R. H. Dott
• Cambrian Shoreline Deposits in Northern Michigan by C. A. Haddox and R. H. Dott, Jr.